Trong kỳ thi IELTS Speaking, bạn có thể được yêu cầu nói về một người hoặc một người mang tính cách cụ thể nào đó. Đây được coi là một trong những chủ đề thường gặp nhất của IELTS Speaking và cũng có giá trị thiết thực trong đời sống hàng ngày. Hãy cùng LangGo bắt đầu với một loạt các từ vựng IELTS cho người mới bắt đầu chủ đề Personality - Tính cách mà bạn có thể sử dụng cho bài thi IELTS Speaking của mình. Hãy đọc các câu hỏi và câu trả lời theo kiểu IELTS sau đây và chú ý đến các cụm từ in đậm. Sử dụng phần ‘Định nghĩa ở cuối trang để kiểm tra nghĩa của bất kỳ cụm từ nào bạn không hiểu.
Examiner: How would you describe yourself?
Candidate: Everyone tells me I take after my mum as I’m quite laid-back … I think I’m good company but you should ask my friends if they agree …
Examiner: In which ways are you similar to your friends?
Candidate: I seem to be attracted to introverts … not people who are painfully shy but most of my friends are a little reserved … and I think that’s what I’m like …
Examiner: Are you similar or different to your brother(s)/sister(s)?
Candidate: I think my brother and I are very similar … I’d say we’re fun-loving and tend to be a bit extroverted … my brother is certainly the life and soul of the party … I’m not sure that applies to me …
Describe a teacher you once had who you enjoyed being taught by. You should say
- who this person was
- when they were your teacher
- which subject they taught you
and describe what it was about their character that you liked.
Candidate: I’d like to describe my English teacher from school … Miss Thomas … this was a few years ago now and she was my teacher at a time when I was getting a little bored with being at school … unlike some of the other teachers Miss Thomas never lost her temper … she was very calm and easy-going … she was also very broad-minded … we were able to ask her questions about lots of subjects that some other teachers would refuse to discuss which made us respect her even more … she had a great sense of humour too … she’d laugh at our jokes as well as making us laugh … and she would also bend over backwards to help us with our work … she always put us first and often stayed around at the end of class to talk with anyone who needed help … apparently she was highly respected within her field but you would never know as she was the type that hid her light under a bushel … she was very modest and self-effacing … so yes … Miss Thomas was a teacher I have fond memories of …
Examiner: Which personal qualities do you think we most want to pass on to our children?
Candidate: I certainly would want my children to be self-confident and self-assured … I really believe that people who feel good about themselves are in a good position to face what life has to offer them … and I’d hope they wouldn’t be self-centred … but remembered to think about others.
Examiner: Which characteristics do you think are the least appealing in a person?
Candidate: Well … people who are very narrow-minded are difficult to get on with … it’s nice when someone is open to other people’s opinion and willing to think about their own views … and people who are two-faced can be a little irritating … relationships are built on trust and without honesty there’s not much left …
Examiner: Which personality types do you think are less likely to suffer from stress or anxiety?
Candidate: Probably people who are thick-skinned … who don’t let people or problems affect them too much … and if you are fair-minded you’ ll be less likely to overreact to situations or be quick-tempered …
Hãy lưu ý rằng tất cả các từ và cụm từ dưới đây đều được dùng trong nghĩa khi bạn đang nói về tính cách của một người:
- to be the life and soul of the party: a fun person, someone who is the centre of activity (một người vui vẻ và là trung tâm của các bữa tiệc)
- to bend over backwards: to try very hard to help someone (cố gắng hết sức để giúp một ai đó)
- broad-minded: prepared to accept other views or behaviours (nghĩ thoáng, có thể chấp nhận góc nhìn và hành động của người khác)
- easy-going: relaxed and not easily worried about anything (hòa đồng, thân thiện)
- extrovert: an energetic person who likes the company of others (hướng ngoại, thích tiếp xúc với mọi người)
- fair-minded: to treat people equally (công bằng)
- fun-loving: to enjoy having fun (vui vẻ, thích niềm vui)
- to hide one’s light under a bushel: to hide one’s talents and skills (che dấu tài năng, kỹ thuật của một ai đó)
- good company: enjoyable to socialise with (một người đồng hành thân thiện, vui vẻ)
- good sense of humour: the ability to understand what is funny (có khiếu hài hước)
- introvert: someone who is shy (hướng nội)
- laid-back: see ‘easy-going’ (thoải mái, tự nhiên)
- to lose one’s temper: to suddenly become angry (nổi nóng một cách đột ngột)
- narrow minded: opposite of ‘broad-minded’ (đầu óc hạn hẹp)
- painfully shy: very shy (rất ngại ngùng, xấu hổ)
- to put others first: to think of others before yourself (nghĩ tới người khác)
- quick-tempered: to become angry quickly (dễ nổi nóng)
- reserved: shy (dè dặt)
- self-assured: confident (tự tin)
- self-centred: thinks only of oneself (thích bản thân làm trung tâm)
- self-confident: believes in one’s own ability or knowledge (tư tin)
- self-effacing: to not try to get the attention of others (especially in terms of hiding one’s skills or abilities) (không thích thể hiện)
- to take after: to be like (often another member of the family) (có những đặc điểm tương tự ai đó, đặc điểm là đối với các thành viên trong gia đình)
- thick-skinned: not easily affected by criticism (da dày "không dễ bị ảnh hưởng bởi những lời phê bình, chỉ trích)
- trustworthy: can be trusted (đáng tin)
- two-faced: not honest or sincere. Will say one thing to someone to their face and another when they are not present. (hai mặt, giả dối)
- Nguồn tham khảo: https://www.tuhocielts.vn/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/22_chu_de_trong_ielts_speaking_cuc_hay_0925.pdf